PMA Enhancer for Gram Negative Bacteria improves PMA- and PMAxx™-mediated discrimination between live and dead gram-negative bacteria.
The mechanism by which Enhancer improves live/dead discrimination has not been determined. It may improve passive permeability of dead cell walls or membranes to the dye, and/or improve access of the dye to the dead cell DNA.
Viability PCR is a powerful technology for the sensitive and rapid detection of viable microorganisms. Unlike time-consuming culturing methods, qPCR is a fast and sensitive method of detection. However, normal qPCR does not distinguish between live and dead cells. With v-PCR using PMAxx™ or PMA, you get the speed, sensitivity and specificity of PCR, plus quantifiable viability. And because no culturing is required, you can even detect viable but not culturable (VBNC) bacteria. The v-PCR technology can be applied not only to bacteria but to other organisms like yeast, viruses, eukaryotes, and archaea.
To learn more about the advantages of determining microbial or cell viability using viability PCR, visit the Viability PCR Technology Page.
1. Microfluid Nanofluid (2016) 20, 114 doi:10.1007/s10404-016-1778-2
2. Poult Sci (2017) Feb 1;96(2):458-464 doi: 10.3382/ps/pew341
3. Food Anal Methods (2017) 10, 1681–1689 doi:10.1007/s12161-016-0716-y
4. Int J Food Microbiol (2018) Mar 23;269:64-74 doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2018.01.015
5. J Microbiol Methods (2019) Jan;156:68-76 doi: 10.1016/j.mimet.2018.12.003.
6. Appl Environ Microbiol (2019) May 2;85(10) doi: 10.1128/AEM.00334-19
7. PLoS One (2019) Aug 23;14(8):e0221119 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0221119
Find a list of PMA and PMAxx™ references and a list of validated bacterial strains under Supporting Documents.